I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Review: Demonglass

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
Demonglass
by Rachel Hawkins

Plot Summary:

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

A note:

If you haven’t read the first book in the Hex Hall series, I very much recommend it! It’s a great story, one that I guest reviewed on E&K Family Book Review.  I’ve tried not to have any spoilers in my review of the second book, although the plot summary of this book has a pretty big spoiler in my opinion.

Review:

The author continues to delight me with Sophie’s wry and snarky narrating style. I love the way she interjects her sarcastic thoughts throughout the events in the story. Sophie made an important decision in the end of the first book, that sets the events of this story into motion. There is more explanation behind the Eye, and the threat to the Prodigium, as well as Sophie’s feelings for Archer and vice versa. This story raises the stakes and develops the romance more, with deeper detail about the main characters from the first book.  There is a sort of love triangle but I'm not sure if it counts when the other guy is not even in the running?  I mean... I don't really think he has a chance but who knows?  I wasn't really bothered by the addition of it, but I thought Cal served a good contrast to Archer.

The story also moves to England, where Sophie gets to know more about her father and her history, and I enjoyed the growing and touching relationship between Sophie and her dad. With the new trouble and mysteries surrounding the Council and the Prodigium, where I felt that the first book was a little predictable, I found the second book to be a refreshing surprise because I wasn’t sure about anything. And unfortunately the cliffhanger in the end, didn’t really help me out. I’m definitely going to finish this series though! It’s so funny and engaging, and full of tense battle scenes, strong characters and a great magic history.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

4 comments:

  1. I have heard some really good things about Hex Hall! I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your interpretation of Sophie and all the main characters! It's a really fun read.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh. What a cliff hanger! Have you read the third book yet? I always love Sophie's humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet, but I plan to pick up the book really soon!

      Delete