I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, July 28, 2013

Suspense Sundays (55) The Cross Eyed Bear

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.   {My archive list of episodes}


"The Cross Eyed Bear"
Air date: September 16, 1943
Starring Virginia Bruce and John Loder
>>Episodes here<<

The Cross Eyed Bear or the great Swedish Nickel King has died recently and left behind three sons.  Sons he hated, and separated at birth, giving them each a piece of a check for 3 million dollars - with the idea that one son would kill the others - survival of the fittest.  One son has been killed by the eldest, but undercover government officials know where the last son is - he's been going under an assumed name in America.  And to get him to admit who he is, the officials hire a pretty girl to talk to him and convince him to confide.  But is this really her mission?

This seems like a much more complex story than I usually hear on Suspense.  There's a lot of backstory and an interesting criminal set-up.  I did find it funny how Virginia Bruce's character - who seemed like she was hired to sweet talk the last son, was really not very good at the job.  While the story of the three sons is rather hard to believe, the suspense of who can be trusted and uncertain motives makes the story very intriguing.  And the twists and turns this story takes is pretty intense for 30 minutes!  This is definitely a story that is worth a listen - so many ups and downs, and surprise murders!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that this series was a radio series that you can hear way back when. Having that history makes it really special. I'm glad that you enjoyed it very much. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes when I listen to this I wonder how it would be to listen to the show in the forties - after the wife has cooked a good meal and the husband is relaxing in slippers or something. :D I think they would have been easily shocked by the twists the stories take!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog. It's so unique and I loveee the layout. I am now a new follower. Following you via Bloglovin' and GFC.

    Check me out: www.thisgirlreadsalot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm going to visit your blog right now!

      Delete