I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: Bitterblue

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
Bitterblue (Graceling Realm #3)
by Kristin Cashore

Plot Summary:

Eight years after Graceling, Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea. But the influence of her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities, lives on. Her advisors, who have run things since Leck died, believe in a forward-thinking plan: Pardon all who committed terrible acts under Leck's reign, and forget anything bad ever happened. But when Bitterblue begins sneaking outside the castle - disguised and alone - to walk the streets of her own city, she starts realizing that the kingdom has been under the 35-year spell of a madman, and the only way to move forward is to revisit the past.

Two thieves, who only steal what has already been stolen, change her life forever. They hold a key to the truth of Leck's reign. And one of them, with an extreme skill called a Grace that he hasn't yet identified, holds a key to her heart.

Review:

Oh, I so wanted to love this book!  I really enjoyed Graceling and to a lesser degree, Fire, but this book, with it's political machinations and the insecure and damaged Lady Queen Bitterblue, felt slow paced and drawn out.  The political intrigue at the court and in Bitterblue's kingdom took a long time to develop and although there were a lot of really well drawn characters, I still felt the story could have been shorter and still captured all the gradual unveiling of the mysteries behind Leck's 35 year rule.

I think personally Bitterblue was a major part of why I was dissatisfied with this book.  She's so unsure, immature and wavering that I wanted to shake her sometimes to stop complaining.  I didn't sympathize with her character very much, and I didn't really feel very invested in her romance, because they both seemed so immature and unreasonable at times.  I was a little annoyed by them.  There are some really great characters though and I was very sympathetic to one of Bitterblue's advisers for the things he went through and the ultimate decision he makes in the end.  Katsa and Po were definitely the best part of the book - their banter and flirting, and their loyalty and capability made them strong, admirable characters that stole every scene.  I hope I am not too biased since I loved Graceling!

It is interesting how everything comes together in the end - events in the previous books ties together nicely and there are facets of each book that reflect on the other, so that as a trilogy I think this series was a great accomplishment in complexity of world-building and the building of history.  There is a theme in the importance of stories, and I think this series celebrates the importance of storytelling which I really identified with.  The last half of the book, though still a little slow paced, had more revelations and interesting twists of plot that kept me reading, so while this is definitely not my favorite book in the series, I found it a very fitting and complete end to the mythology.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

12 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with your review. I really wanted to like this one, had such high-hopes but it fell really flat for me. Everything was way more complex than it needed to be and Bitterblue lacked a lot in what I was looking forward to, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad you felt the same way! I wish the book was shorter, it might have worked better that way.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh noes..this has been sitting on my shelf forever..and now I am hesitant to pick it up because I want to love it as well!! Eeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you enjoy it more than I did! At least you will finish the trilogy and get all the answers!

      Delete
  4. It has been a while since I've read this book but it was my least favorite in the series. I think it was way too long. If it had been shorter I think it would've been much better.

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh :( too bad it wasn't as good as you wanted it to be. I hate that feeling! When a story is slow and you have the feeling it could be much shorter, it's indeed not a good thing. I hate it when authors describe and describe things instead of making their characters more real so you can empathize more with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops :p so much "hate" in my post x) let's say "I don't like" those things :D

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean! The first two books on the whole were so good, I'm sad that this one didn't quite capture that. I think I would have to use those heart buttons you used on your Top 10 post for this book. :D

      Delete
  6. I'll have to agree with you that this one is my least favourite of the series but it was quite incredible on its own. I think it's just that we expected more action from it because of the previous books. Great review :)

    -Mari @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, hadn't thought of that, but very true - Bitterblue doesn't take as much initiative - maybe I would have enjoyed this book more if I hadn't read the first two. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete