I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Awesome Adaptations (47) Bridget Jones's Diary

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
This meme celebrates an awesome adaptation related to a weekly category. Any format of adaptation (television series, film, web series, etc.) is acceptable as long as it is based in some form on a book. This meme is hosted by Alisa Selene at PictureMeReading. Check out her site and join in on the fun!

An Awesome Adaptation Based on a Diary or Journal
Title: Bridget Jones's Diary
Adapted from: Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Sadly I haven't read the book this film is based on, but the film is so enjoyable - hilarious, romantic and sweetly endearing - that it just has to be an awesome adaptation!  Awkward, impulsive Bridget Jones starts keeping a diary chronicling her plans to improve her self-image and finally get into a meaningful and healthy relationship.  Of course it isn't easy, and there are many missteps along the way.

The diary aspect keeps Bridget Jones's wry, self-deprecating sense of humor at the forefront of the film, and brings so much depth to her struggles.  It makes the story much more like a journey, because the audience can see what her intentions are and the effects.  The cast also brings so much to the film.  Renée Zellweger captures the wit and quirky charm of Bridget so well, and I completely forget she's American!  And with Colin Firth and Hugh Grant as her two potential love interests, swooning is guaranteed!  The romance does not need much more to develop than the choice between these two guys!  (That might be personal opinion, but I highly doubt it.)  Add to that the timeless romantic appeal that is behind the structure of this story (which is reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice) and this film is pretty much the definition of what great chick-lit film-making can be.

The humor and fun, and more importantly the emotional development of the characters makes this such a wonderful film, and very definitely an awesome adaptation.  I really love this film!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

8 comments:

  1. I love this movie! Colin Firth and Hugh Grant's brawl in the street that spilled into the restaurant was hilarious! The sequel got kind of panned, but I really enjoyed it, too. And I loved both books- I was so happy to hear that the third one is being released later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the brawl is so funny and such wish fulfillment! :D I liked the sequel too, though I've seen the first movie more. I think there was even talk of the third book being made into a movie which I really hope happens! I just need to start reading the book already!

      Delete
  2. I love this movie as well..the sweater moment alone ROFL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know! I love so many scenes in this movie!

      Delete
  3. Do you know I have never seen this movie or read the book? I have always thought it was going to be cheesy romance. I should probably give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure of your idea of cheesy, but I think this movie is not that - it's so fun and romantic! I think you will enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for following Charlene! Following you back. I am so in love with your site design!
    I haven't read this book either but the movie was indeed hilarious. There's a feature I saw online somewhere where Bridget Jones interview Colin Firth as the real actor. It was funny as hell :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I am still very happy with my blog design, which is wonderful cause I can get tired of some things too easily. :)

      I don't think I've seen that interview! I'm now going to check it out!

      Delete