I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, July 21, 2013

Suspense Sundays (54) Murder Goes for a Swim

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.   {My archive list of episodes}


"Murder Goes for a Swim"
Air date: July 20, 1943
Starring Warren William and Eric Blore
>>Episodes here<<

This radio episode featured an apparently well known fictional detective at the time - one named Michael Lanyard but who went by the name The Lone Wolf.  And I have never heard of him before! His sidekick - or rather gentleman's gentleman - Jamison are invited to a party at an estate and just before leaving, they get a mysterious call from a woman pleading with them to hurry so they can prevent a murder.  And of course that is something that is in their wheelhouse.  But when they get there, a woman is found drowned, dead for over a day, and The Lone Wolf is on the hunt.  After a murder attempt on the detective and another murder, he finally figures it out.

This episode was a lot of fun! It made me want to check out The Lone Wolf books, because the banter between Lanyard and Jamison was funny and was a nice touch against the terrible murders.  And it was obvious the two characters have a great rapport.  The story felt like the cozy mysteries of old - in the vein of Agatha Christie, and I really enjoyed listening to it.  There are red herrings of course, but I sussed out who did it pretty early - only because that person was the least likely. The adventure in solving mysteries and the camaraderie of two good friends seemed to be the highlight of this story - it's an excellent listen!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, Charlene. :) So nice to meet you.
    Suspense radio series sound like something I'd love to listen to. :) Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow back! I look forward to reading your posts!

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy Agatha Christie and these old-time radio mystery shows are something that I have a soft spot for. What a lovely feature! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! Thank you, I'm glad that you are a fan of old time radio as well!

      Delete