I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Movie Musical Challenge: Bride and Prejudice

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
In Movie Musical Challenge, I'm watching 20 films I picked as great films or films I wanted to watch.  This post is about the 2004 film Bride and Prejudice starring Aishwarya Rai and Martin Henderson.  A Bollywood take on Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

Fun.  This whole movie was just so much fun.  I loved how much of the original Pride and Prejudice worked for the changed setting and time, how the music tied in with the emotions, and with the lead actors - they were perfect!  Aishwarya as Lalita was brilliant - smart, sharp and beautiful, and Martin as Darcy was a good match for her too - a little clueless, awkward and restrained, but he had a good heart.  By the end, it was so sweet for them to finally get together.  I loved how well the romance played out in this.

The music is wonderful too - I'm not as familiar with the sounds and style of a Bollywood type musical, but the music is very catchy and vibrant.  It's a style that appeals to me because it's pop-like, but also unique and interesting.  I don't know if I have a favorite song, but I did really like the opening number where the guys and girls at the wedding are dancing and meeting each other for the first time.

And this is weird for me, but another highlight of the story was in how spot on they were in casting the "Mr. Collins" or Mr. Kholi.  He's just so icky, it's hilarious.  Also I really loved how they captured Lalita's parents - also true to Austen's representations of the Bennets, and so funny to watch.

The way the film would switch between heightened fantasy song sequences to the plot was a little off-putting, although that seems to be part of the Bollywood style.  I suppose it makes the form of a musical interesting because it takes the fact that a musical is a heightened version of reality, and takes it to the next level.  All in all though, this was a wonderful film!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment