I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, January 10, 2016

Suspense Sundays (181) An Evening's Diversion

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"An Evening's Diversion"
Air date: July 4, 1946
Starring William Johnstone
>>Episodes here<<

Mr. Edwards, a hard working businessman, is told by his doctor to go out for an evening's diversion.  He's been working too hard lately and should do something new.  Mr. Edwards is resistant, but one night he does decide to visit a bar that his secretary was talking about earlier.  One in which someone got shot one night by some gangsters.  While Mr. Edwards is having dinner, he overhears two guys talking and one man intends to murder a woman.

This is a funny episode to me.  Because it's an interesting story - at first I was not sure where it was going because it really seemed like Mr. Edwards did not want to go out, but when he made his split decision, the whole 'overhearing gangsters bit' was inevitable, as was his decision to try and prevent the murder.  In fact, it was all not very surprising, just a bit suspenseful, until the twist.  OMG.  It totally stopped me in my tracks.  And I loved it!  It was a complete WTF and it instantly elevated this episode in my opinion.  Definitely listen to this one!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment