I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Movie Musical Challenge - 2016

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,

A new year, a new Movie Musical Challenge!  Last year, my challenge was to watch AFI's top 25 films, but this year I decided to pick the films I wanted to watch - the ones I haven't seen before (but heard they were good) or because I thought they should be recognized.  This time I'm going with 20 films to make things a bit easier on me.  And out of this list, I've only seen three films!  Well, I probably have seen White Christmas, but I don't remember it really.  I'm probably not going to watch this in any particular order (but for sure I'm saving White Christmas for December!)  Like last year, I'll do a wrap-up post where I order these films as the top best/ favorites.  Now here's the list:

The Little Mermaid (1989) ✓ (watched)
The Lion King (1994) 
The Music Man (1962)  (watched)
Oklahoma (1955)
South Pacific (1958)
Kiss Me Kate (1953)  (watched)
Anchor's Aweigh (1945) 
White Christmas (1954)
Easter Parade (1948)  (watched)
The Gay Divorcee (1934)  (watched)
Bride and Prejudice (2004)  (watched)
Swing Time (1936)
Gigi (1958)
Hello Dolly (1964)
Annie Get Your Gun (1950)  (watched)
Jumbo / or Billy Rose's Jumbo (1962)  (watched)
Shall We Dance (1937)
The Pajama Game (1957)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
High Society (1956)  (watched)
Calamity Jane (1953)  (watched)



Some comments on my choices:

- The Disney film Beauty and the Beast made AFI's Top 25 list, so I thought it would be nice to add some Disney to my list - one that is my favorite, and the other that I feel is technically the best Disney animated film ever.

- The Music Man has been highly recommended to me by Quinn, so I'm happy to finally watch it!

- Anchor's Aweigh is one of my favorite Gene Kelly films, so I'm eager to revisit it, and also to introduce it to others.

- I need to watch more of the Astaire and Rogers films, so I gladly added three highly regarded ones to my list.

- Most of my films are pretty old, the newest one is Bride and Prejudice which I want to watch because it's based on P&P, and also because it will be my first Bollywood film.

- There are a couple Doris Day films here, and I don't think I've ever mentioned just how much I love her as an actress.  I've seen a few of her rom coms (thanks to my Mom!), and think they are just adorable.  And she has a beautiful singing voice! [NOTE: I decided to replace Jumbo with Calamity Jane for the future participants.  Jumbo just isn't that great of a film.]

- Thank you Becca for the last minute addition of "High Society"!  I was literally at 19 films for my list.  With a great cast of Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby, I'm looking forward to this one!

Again, I would love it if anyone wanted to join in!  You don't have to watch all the films too - you could pick and choose which ones you'd like to watch.  I would just be happy to read other blogger's thoughts on any of these films.  Here's a sign up list if you think you would like to participate.  I know at least one blogger intends to do the AFI list this year, and that's great!  Feel free to sign up if you are doing that too!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment