I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, November 16, 2014

Suspense Sundays (124) Easy Victim

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Easy Victim"
Air date: October 25, 1959
Starring Paul McGrath
>>Episodes here<<

Arthur Ames has had a lot of bad luck at the gambling table, and receives a visit from his creditor with an ultimatum.  Get the money, or else.  The only option he has now for getting money is marrying it. There's a rich widow he knows of and he woos her.  But after he pays off his debt, Mr. Ames can't stay with a woman he doesn't love.

This was a clever little episode with a twist that, while not earth-shattering, was nicely ironic and even made me feel that there was a little justice.  Which if you listen to this episode, that might not be a good thing.  I thought it was almost farcical how Mr. Ames' attempts to do away with his wife failed a couple times, and that aspect was fun.  This has a solid story with a twist I didn't expect at first, given how common this story trope crops up in these older suspense stories.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment