I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Something Strange and Deadly Readalong - Discussion #1

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , , ,

I'm participating in the Readalong for Susan Dennard's novel "Something Strange and Deadly."  Today is the halfway point for the first book, and Steph (who is hosting the readalong) has some discussion questions for all the participants to answer.  For this post, I'll be talking about two of them.

Question 1: What is your favorite part of the first half of this book and why?

I like spooky stories (I'm less into scary movies though - the theater of the mind is where I prefer to indulge in horror), so when about a couple chapters in, Something Strange and Deadly, had a seance scene, I was all over it!  And Susan Dennard made it truly creepy - just evocative enough of the fear of the unknown, the unexpected responses of the spirit, and a pretty terrifying apparition, that I loved every moment of it.  That scene really made me perk up for what else was in store for this book, and I think that is why it stands out for me so strongly. My second go-to favorite part would be the introduction of the Spirit Hunters, who are a lovable rag-tag team.  With Daniel Sheridan, being extra lovable of course. ;)

Question 2: How do you think you would react to the Dead walking around in your city?

Ummm, zombies are uber creepy.  The fact that someone you may know who has died is walking around now, or just the fact that these are dead and decaying bodies freely roaming is so gross.  So I feel like I would not handle this well.  I would not be willing to fight them, or be anywhere nearby.  If this was in my city, I would be buying a ticket out immediately.  Kudos for the Philadelphian people in the novel for even pretending that nothing is happening, because one instance of the undead is enough to make me consider all my options of escape!  


If you are interested in reading Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard (perfect for this Halloween month!) it's not too late to join in.  The readalong for the first book finishes up November 6th, and through Steph's blog, you can find more information on the dates and a sign up to join.  

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment