I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Movie Musical Challenge: High Society

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
In Movie Musical Challenge, I'm watching 20 films I picked as great films or films I wanted to watch.  This post is about the 1956 film High Society starring Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly and Frank Sinatra.

High Society is a cute movie.  Louis Armstrong, bookends the film with his song and his engaging personality.  I feel like I've always just known who Louis Armstrong was - I've never really seen him in anything (except maybe one scene in Hello Dolly which I'll be able to revisit with this challenge), so it was interesting to see him in this and see what a personality he was, and how unique was his voice!

Even though this is a fun movie, I'm not sure if I really loved it though.  It felt a little strange that Grace Kelly's character Samantha, seemed both so maligned and worshipped throughout the film.  I guess she wanted perfection from her men, but when she makes a mistake, it's okay to throw away her standards.  It felt like a lot of bad decisions were being made throughout this movie.  And the four way love quadrangle was a little weird - I wasn't sure who we were supposed to root for in this!  The story is farcical, and over the top and just a little judgmental, and I wasn't expecting any of it.

The music didn't stand out for me much either.  With such star power as Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, this film certainly had it's moments, but not as much as I would have though.  But I think the best song in this film is True Love.  I already loved this song and didn't know it was from this movie, so that was a treat for me.  The scene it goes to is very sweet, and the song is so liltingly beautiful.  I was pleasantly surprised to know that Grace Kelly does have a nice singing voice too.

High Society had it's ups and downs for me - on the one hand, the plot is a little convoluted and unsatisfactory to me, and on the other I liked all the actors, some of the songs, and the characterizations were fun.  There were some great comic moments as well.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment