I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, July 19, 2015

Suspense Sundays (156) The Morrison Affair

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"The Morrison Affair"
Air date: September 2, 1948
Starring Madeline Carroll
>>Episodes here<<

Mrs. Morrison speaks to a divorce attorney and tells him her story under strict confidence.  When the U.S. entered the war, she asked her husband (who's a doctor) if she could adopt a child since she can not have kids, but Dr. Morrison was against it.  A few months later, Mrs. Morrison is on her way to visit her Mom and talks to a woman on the train with three kids - two older, and a baby.  The woman is overwhelmed and her husband had just died in the war, and Mrs. Morrison makes a decision.  She offers to watch the baby while the woman takes her two older kids to get some food, and then Mrs. Morrison gets off the train.

Ooh I don't know how I feel about this episode.  On the one hand, it's a very suspenseful drama - well played and with an interesting story.  But I will say that it's all just so sad.  I feel like the way it ends made me too depressed to really like the story.  Suspense stories do end sadly sometimes, but often there is a sense of ironic justice that makes me feel better.  In the case of this episode there is that ironic justice, but it didn't overcome how depressing this was.  My thoughts are really focused on that unfortunately!  

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment