I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, December 21, 2014

Suspense Sundays (129) Leiningen vs the Ants

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Leiningen vs the Ants"
Air date: November 29, 1959
Starring Luis Van Rooten
>>Episodes here<<

Leiningen is determined to defend his plantation against a swarm of ants.  They are as big as a man's thumb, and can strip a man to the bone.  There are tense scenes of ants crossing the moat and shovel to ant combat.

Apparently this is a classic short story written by Carl Stephenson, but I kinda felt this was a ridiculous story.  I guess army ants are very dangerous and deadly, but I don't really have a visual for that, so the story just fell flat for me.  And the suspense didn't grab me, as I never really felt sympathetic to Leningen's plight.  

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment