I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Review: A Conspiracy of Alchemists

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
A Conspiracy of Alchemists
by Liesel Schwarz

Plot Summary:

LEAVE IT TO CHANCE. Eleanor “Elle” Chance, that is—the intrepid heroine of this edgy new series that transforms elements of urban fantasy, historical adventure, and paranormal romance into pure storytelling gold.

In a Golden Age where spark reactors power the airways, and creatures of Light and Shadow walk openly among us, a deadly game of Alchemists and Warlocks has begun.

When an unusual cargo drags airship-pilot Elle Chance into the affairs of the mysterious Mr. Marsh, she must confront her destiny and do everything in her power to stop the Alchemists from unleashing a magical apocalypse.

Review:

This novel sets up a very compelling new world - with the battle between the light and shadow and Elle Chance in the middle of it.  The action starts pretty quickly as Elle is thrown into the conspiracy, and gradually uncovers things about herself and her past that reveals she has a very important power.  Most of the story is spent though in Elle denying that power and her destiny which got a little tiresome as I read further.  I felt that it made the story drag a little as Elle and Mr. Marsh clashed so much in their own little power struggle.  Although the romance that bloomed up between them was sweet, it felt a little forced, and a little confusing given the stakes that Mr. Marsh was very much aware of.  The characters could have used a little more development I think, as I sometimes felt distanced from them, and a little disbelieving of the motives for their actions.

This story was a very entertaining read however, and even though I was not completely charmed by the characters or the romance, the mystery and the world building - especially the way things came together in the end was very exciting and such a page-turner.  The different elements of urban fantasy and steampunk were a great mixture to bring this world to life, and I loved the historical detail of the story and the different settings.  It's a very rich novel that perhaps has too much going for it, so that some things seemed too rushed or unexplored, but it's a great, quick read that fans of the genre should enjoy.

review copy kindly provided by the publisher through TLC Book Tours


Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

14 comments:

  1. I want to read this! I want to meet Chance and Marsh! Me want. *___* Me jelly.

    Wonderful review, Charlene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by Delaney!

      Delete
  2. Hey there! I need to check this book out, this is the first I've heard of it. I found you on Book Blogs and I am now your newest follower! I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday and that you'll stop by for a visit sometime when you get the chance. :)
    Leigh Ann
    MaMa's Book Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it! :) Thanks for following, I just followed back!

      Delete
  3. I think that cover is really cool! I might give this one a try but later once all my other reading is done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice cover! One of the reasons I picked it up! I hope you will enjoy it, but it is unlikely other reading will ever be done. :D

      Delete
  4. I have this on my TBR. Love the cover. I am excited to eventually get to this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! It is a very pretty cover! I did see another one for it- which had an aviator lady on it that I really liked as well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Charlene,
    I've just read your insight of the story and I see what you mean about the clash between Ellie and Marsh! Lol
    Hope we will not be dissapointed by the sequel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested in seeing where the author takes this story! I think she has alot to work with because the worldbuilding is so rich.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one overall. Thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity to participate! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry it wasn't what you expected, but it still does sound like it has good points!

    Your blog layout is beautiful! Stopping by from TLC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely was very readable, and had an interesting storyline!

      Aw thanks, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete