I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Favorite Story - Jane Eyre (22 November 1947)

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
Hosted by Ronald Colman, "Favorite Story" asked someone 'in the business' to pick a favorite story to dramatize.  Someone random picked "Jane Eyre" (a guy! I know I probably shouldn't be, but I'm always a bit surprised when a guy says it's his favorite book) and here we are.  

The story begins with a 'Last night I came back to Thornfield Hall' - Rebecca?  Peggy Webber and William Conrad star in this adaptation and although the script is decent (and just covers the Thornfield sections of the story) I thought Rochester was a little too stilted in his delivery, and not very emotional.  There was one part in the wedding when it is interrupted and he says "Huh?" which just sounds so funny.  It's almost like he wasn't paying attention.  Jane was too timid and retiring - she always sounded a little bit scared.  It was weird. 

But again the script is decent, especially for a half hour adaptation, and the final scenes where Jane is reunited with Rochester are probably one of the best parts of the adaptation.  Just because it is so cheesy! Jane comes back and Rochester pretends to not care and once Jane leaves, his monologue of sorrow as he contemplates his sacrifice of giving up Jane so she can have a better man, is interrupted by ... you guessed it, Jane! She was there the whole time! And now all of Rochester's logic has been wiped away because Jane knows Rochester really wants her to stay.  It's sweet, but a little too sweet.  

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

2 comments:

  1. I think I see a snarka'tunity in this adaptation waiting to happen LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love that term! It definitely is asking for it!

      Delete