I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Awesome Adaptations (6) - A Very Potter Musical

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,

Awesome Adaptations is a weekly bookish meme, hosted at Alisa Selene’s books blog, Picturemereading.  Anyone can play along! Each week there is a new category of adaptation to blog about. Any format (television series, film, web series, etc.) is acceptable as long as it is based in some form on a book. If you’re playing along on your own blog, just mention Picturemereading in your post and include the banner above. Let them know which film you’d pick and why it is an awesome adaptation worth watching. Oh, and don’t forget to share the link to your own post in the comments for that week’s challenge so that everyone can read your thoughts!

An awesomely funny adaptation
Picture source: FortyTwoistheAnswer
Title: A Very Potter Musical
Adapted from The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

I’ll see my friends, gonna laugh til we cry
Take my firebolt, gonna take to the sky
No way this year anyone’s gonna die
And it’s gonna be totally awesome!

This musical was produced by college students at the University of Michigan in 2009 and comically interprets the world of Harry Potter, parodying different aspects of different books to create a very cohesive version of a year in the life of Harry (Freakin’!) Potter. I love this musical so much because of the catchy and fun songs, and the wonderfully hilarious versions of all the characters. My favorite song is “Granger Danger”, a duet between Ron and Draco who are struggling with their feelings for Hermoine.

There is so much to love in this musical, that I am afraid I can’t do it justice. I love how they took the idiosyncrasies of the characters and exaggerated them - Hermoine is truly a buzz kill when it comes to encouraging Harry and Ron to study and do well in class, Draco is so whiny and whimpy that he (or she, as he is played by a girl - fantastically I might add) literally flops around on the ground, Snape is outrageously sinister and unfair, and Dumbledore is so cool that he walks around in bermuda shorts and has a thing for Zac Efron. The relationships between Harry and Ginny, Harry, Ron, and Hermoine, and even Voldemort and Quirrell (the ultimate odd couple) are highlighted in this musical and even through the laughs it’s heartwarming and touching. Even with Voldemort! It’s a fantastic balance between story, comedy and music and although it’s a parody, it’s also an homage to the great characters and stories and friendships that J.K. Rowling created in her amazing books. I can only say that this musical is “totally awesome!”

You can watch the whole musical on Youtube!

And bonus that some of the students in this production have gone on to become TV actors - I especially love Darren Criss (Harry Potter) as Blaine now on Glee!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

5 comments:

  1. Oooh I really like this one! Too bad they don't play this musical in Belgium :D I love musicals (although it's been a while now since I've seen one). Thanks for the Youtube link :D I'll pretend I'm attending the actual show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should do a touring production of this musical! It's so fun, and it seems like a lot of people really love this show. Some of the actors have done live concerts and sung songs from the show so I guess that is the next best thing. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, a touring production would be great! They'd definitely have lots of fans in Belgium too, so it would be worth it :D

      Delete
  2. This is MADE of awesome..I had never heard of it and now I have to see it all!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I think you'll like it! And there is a sequel to (A Very Potter Sequel) that is mostly based on The Prisoner of Azkaban!

      Delete