I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Review: The Perilous Gard

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
The Perilous Gard
by Elizabeth Marie Pope

Plot Summary:
In 1558, while exiled by Queen Mary Tudor to a remote castle known as Perilous Gard, young Kate Sutton becomes involved in a series of mysterious events that lead her to an underground world peopled by Fairy Folk—whose customs are even older than the Druids’ and include human sacrifice.


Expectations:  Having seen this book recommended on Goodreads alongside one of my favorite novels "The Magician's Ward" by Patricia C. Wrede, I suppose I expected something similar - humor, romance, suspense and magic.  This novel has fairies so I was interested in how they were going to be represented.


Review:
There are some books that seem more magical when you remember having read them at age 12 or 13, but when you re-read them as a mature adult they can either still retain some charm or seem rather silly and predictable.  Had I read this book when I was young, I would probably been more impressed with it than I am now, since I feel that the story was rather simple and rushed with not enough character development to really care about the characters.  The world of the Fairy Folk are not particularly clearly drawn enough to feel like they real, which I suppose is because the main characters themselves do not understand them that well either.  The humor and romance I was hoping for was lacking - with the romance not really well developed.  I guess Kate and Christopher Heron talk to each other alot so they fall in love?  It's a simple read, but I would not be surprised if a pre-teen would not enjoy this more as an entry into historical YA fiction.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment