I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Thursday, April 14, 2016

Movie Musical Challenge: The Gay Divorcee

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , ,
In Movie Musical Challenge, I'm watching 20 films I picked as great films or films I wanted to watch.  This post is about the 1934 film The Gay Divorcee starring the classic duo of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

For my second Astaire/Rogers films, this one was another winner - so charming and romantic, and Ginger and Fred are really perfect as a duo.  Great comic timing, chemistry and of course perfect dance partners.  They work beautifully together.

The story of this film, is another fun farcical romance with Astaire chasing after Ginger who is trying to get a divorce.  Astaire's character, Guy, pining for Ginger's character Mimi is over the top and actually I could see why Mimi was so annoyed initially.  But it was a little sweet to see him wear her down (lol) and all the romantic overtures that went with it.  Including sealing the burgeoning relationship with a beautiful, emotional dance.

The film has a great comic aspect in the two supporting cast - Alice Brady and Edward Everett Horton, who are such caricatures, but entertaining nonetheless.  They add to the farcical plot line, and I think Horton's character was a great foil to Astaire's romantic side.

This is a fun, light-hearted romantic comedy, with some fantastic actors and dancing.  I think this is one of the more popular Astaire/Rogers films and I completely understand why.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment