I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, May 31, 2015

Suspense Sundays (151) Murder Off Key

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Murder Off Key"
Air date: November 15, 1945
Starring Zachary Scott
>>Episodes here<<

Franklin Carlson has just arrived at his friend Morley's apartment to stay while Morley is on vacation, and he discovers that Morley has a next door neighbor who loves to sing.  Loudly and off key.  Unfortunately this older lady is so rich that the manager won't make her stop, and everyone has to live with it.  When one of the lady's sheet music makes it's way on to his balcony, Carlson reluctantly makes her acquaintance.  Just a few days later she is found dead, and suspicion falls on Carlson.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one (and not just because I'm a fan of the actor Zachary Scott).  I thought it was so intriguing to have this mystery set up where the listener is not entirely sure if Carlson strangled the lady for her money or not.  Carlson certainly seemed bewildered by all the evidence mounting against him, but it was not clear until the end if he was just pretending, crazy, or completely innocent.  And as I was listening, I was trying to figure it out myself but it was made difficult because some of the evidence against him is so damming and completely negates what he believes to have happened.  It was very suspenseful to finally find out the truth!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment