I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Year in Review - 2014

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,

Another year, another end of year look back!  My Goodreads tally for books read this year is 80 81 books, which is quite a few books down from my previous year tally of 121!  I need to up my game!  There were some new developments for my blog this year - like a new blog layout which I still love, and a sudden focus on things Star Trek.  It's so funny to think how quickly a fandom can take over my life.  Last year, I had mentioned bringing down the number of my posts to four a week, and I'm glad I've been able to maintain that for the most part and I think it has really benefited me to have that extra time to do other things.  The past couple months have been especially busy for me, but I'm sure things will settle down now and I'll get back into my rhythm.

I wonder if other bloggers think throughout the year, when they finish a fantastic book - "This is the best book I've read this year".  Or do bloggers only think about it at the end of the year?  I do tend to think about it throughout the year, and already set the order in my head.  My picks below were already in my head by the time I drew up this post, so this post was very easy to set up!







TOP INDIE READ:  Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen
I was completely surprised by how much I loved this book.  I would not have thought I would love a story with trolls.  But the author recreated them in a believable and absorbing way, and the story and romance captivated me.  I'm so looking forward to the next book, and for awhile I felt this was my favorite read from 2104 until I read the next book...

TOP MAJOR PUBLISHING HOUSE READ: Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell
I realize that I have a thing for characters who are honorable, yet flawed, and are exceptionally clever and resourceful.  And if that kind of character can have a great wit and sense of humor then I'm done for!  Falcio was all that and more, and this book is easily one of my top favorites ever.  I just really connected to the world, the characters and the exciting plot.

TOP JANE EYRE DERIVATIVE READ: Jane F---ing Eyre by J.K. Really
This was such a short read, but so memorable for me, because it made me laugh so much at this new way Jane had at looking at her story.  And I loved that it didn't devalue the romance or the plot in any way through the humor.  It seemed like the author loves the story of Jane Eyre, despite the melodrama.  I should of course mention that I really loved another Janian related novel - Halton Cray by N.B. Roberts.  It has a great love for the original between the lines as well!

Other highlights


MOST POPULAR BLOG POST:
I've gotten a lot of hits on my interview with author Danielle Jensen, but I'm afraid that is mostly due to bot traffic...  I think for regular traffic, I've gotten a lot of attention on my 3 Favorite Dances by Gene Kelly and my more recent gif post on a Book Blogger's Life. Which is awesome because those were two posts that I really enjoyed making.  For the gif post though, I was afraid it was too silly and had it sitting in my draft folder for a while!

FAVORITE POST:
Well since this was almost like a year in the making what with watching all the Star Trek - my favorite post is my recap of attending the Trek convention earlier this month.  I feel like such a newbie still, but I really enjoyed getting a feel of the fandom love at the convention and of course meeting some of the actors I've grown so attached to in only a few months!

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS OF THE YEAR:
I had a lot of fun author events this year - the ones that really stood out for me was with Sarah J. Maas, David SuchetLeVar Burton and Cary Elwes.  All people I just really like, regardless of the books.  I was also able to go to the surrounding areas of San Diego Comic Con for the first time which was such a treat for me.  Overall, this has been a fantastic year and I look forward to another great one in 2015!

Happy New Year everyone!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment