I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Review: Finding Mr. Rochester

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , , ,
Finding Mr. Rochester
by Trisha Ashley
Contemporary Romance (Short Story)
Amazon  /  Goodreads

Plot Summary:

In this fabulous ebook short story Trisha Ashley will whisk you away for a romantic treat on the Yorkshire moors.

Plus the first chance to read the opening chapter of Trisha’s new novel Every Woman For Herself and get your hands on some exclusive Trisha Ashley recipes.

Budding author and die-hard Bronte fan Eleri Groves decides to escape from her disastrous love life to a remote farm cottage in Yorkshire. Living in the land of the Brontes has got to be better than her life at home and she hopes that she’ll find some inspiration for her next book. But what she doesn’t expect is to find her own Mr Rochester and much more than she bargained for …

A warm, witty and romantic short story from Sunday Times top 5 best-selling author Trisha Ashley.

Review:

This is a very short story, and consequently I felt there was very little time or effort spent to really develop anything about the characters or the romance.  This story trades on the fact that you are already familiar with the novel Jane Eyre because that way the reader can fill in the details of the romantic hero's - Henry's - character.  I found there was little to interest me in this ebook sadly.  It was only because it was so short that I found it a quick read, but there is hardly anything unique about this story or any new light shed on what a modern Mr. Rochester would be like.

Eleri feels very taken with Henry very quickly - and mostly it seems it's because he bears a resemblance to the description of Mr. Rochester in the novel.  There's hardly any backstory on these characters lives given, with the only drama between Henry and his cousin over their inheritance.  Which was all rather lackluster.  The writing is fine, and there were some ideas in this story that I enjoyed, but ultimately this was a disappointment because I felt it had very little substance.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

4 comments:

  1. That's too bad! I love retellings but they really have to add something to the original to stand on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Retellings should build on the original and not just rehash what was in the original book. I don't think this did anything really unique with the idea unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I'm sorry you didn't like this! I want to read about a modern Mr. Rochester, but I guess this isn't it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to read about a modern Mr. Rochester too! Actually I don't think I have read a great contemporary take on Jane Eyre - my faves are fantasy or sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete