I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Thursday, September 27, 2012

Feature & Follow (5)

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Feature & Follow is a blog hop hosted by Parajunkee & Alison Can Read. The purpose is to meet  people and gain more  followers in the book blogging community.

Q: What is the BIGGEST word you’ve seen used in a book lately – that made you stop and look it up? Might as well leave the definition & book too.



Ooh too bad I look up big words and then promptly forget them!  Umm... Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  Okay, seriously, I can't remember - the trouble with being able to look up words on kindle, is that the motions of looking up the word in a dictionary or even typing it out on a website makes the word stay in my head.  I hold my finger over the word on my kindle and the meaning is right there!  (kinda awesome though)  

I will edit this post if I come across a word soon though!

EDIT:
I got one! From The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling: Vetiver

"...grateful to feel Miles beside her, big and paunchy, smelling of vetiver and old sweat."

Definition: 
vetiver: a perennial grass of the Poaceae family, native to India.  It has a gregarious habit and grows in bunches.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

23 comments:

  1. The perks of reading on an e-reader! Haha, I totally need to do that when I read on my Nook. Hope you have a great weekend :)

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Is that actually a word? It sounds cool. I'm a new FF follower! Please follow me back at http://bookaholicfaggots.blogspot.com or find me in the Linky list for Cindy@In This World of Books..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Cindy! Please go watch Mary Poppins immediately!! lol :P Watch the song here in the meantime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zAbQ0aMK8

      Delete
  3. Wish I knew what that smelled like. Old follower and my word from just reading tonight is obsequious. Come visit my blog for more details....You are invited!
    bethartfromtheheart.blogspot.com
    :D
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being able to look up words so easily on my Nook. I agree that the ease of looking words up that way makes them more forgettable. I really do try to use new words in a sentence at least 3 times throughout the day when I learn them, but that doesn't always happen.
    The word I had to look up came from David Mitchell's novel Cloud Atlas. Check it out here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my FF post earlier. I am following you back via Linky, already followed you via GFC.

    I didn't even know it was possible to get words explained on the kindle. I need to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower! Hopping by.
    It's pretty cool you found one so fast!

    Happy reading!
    Bookworm Mia
    http://bookwormmia.blogspot.com/2012/09/feature-follow-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wondering... how many people actually know what vetiver smells like? ... haha.. great word! *new follower*

    My FF

    Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous that you already are reading that book! :)
    Old follower!
    http://picturemereading.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/meme-feature-and-follow-friday-complicated-word/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now THAT'S a unique word! Thanks. I love my Kindle because it's so easy to look things up. Otherwise, I'm usually too lazy....

    And, either way I have trouble retaining (old brain, here.) But it's good exercise, right?

    New follower. My FF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Thanks for the definition. I just got The Casual Vacancy from the library yesterday, and now I will know what Vetiver means.

    Here's my Friday Hop

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Kindle makes it sooo easy haha my Fire is the best! And odd word LOL :)

    New Followe! My FF @ Pink Fluffy Heartss

    ReplyDelete
  12. What the heck is Vetiver? Grass? I hope to read that book soon. Picked it up yesterday, but my man gets to read it first.

    New GFC follower. Here's my My FF.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopping through. How far are you in CV? I'm listening to it via audio and I'm about 1/6 of the day done.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just blogging by, have a great week-end.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/09/feature_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh! You already read The Casual Vacancy!!!! Lucky you!

    I'm a new GFC follower btw! :)

    My FF post this week.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool answer!

    old follower
    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2012/09/feature-and-follow-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never heard of that word and oh how I want to read The Casual Vacancy

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  18. good one! must smell nice. :) I love your header and am now a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never heard of that word before. Great pick! :D Thanks for stopping by my blog. New follower!

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I'm lerning all kinds of new words this week, lol! New follower through GFC. :)

    ~MA Church
    http://machurch00.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha! I love your improv!

    Old follower. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://chroniclesofabookaddict.blogspot.com

    Hey am a new follower from friday hop

    ReplyDelete