I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, November 29, 2015

Suspense (175) Out of Control

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Out of Control"
Air date: March 28, 1946
Starring Brian Donlevy
>>Episodes here<<

A detective, who is blind, overhears a conversation between a woman and a man who is trying to blackmail her.  He hears her offer to pay him off, but to stay at her cabin in the woods so that her husband won't run into him.  The next day the detective hears from the woman that the man got into an accident and was killed.  The woman might be under suspicion except the man was killed minutes before she got the phone call, and the woman was with the detective the whole time.  The detective puts his uncanny reasoning and hearing ability to work.

When I was in high school I particularly remember reading one of those five minute mystery books where you can try to solve it at the end, and the solution to the mystery presented in this Suspense episode takes off from one of those stories.  I don't know why I always remembered the solution (which concerns ice).  I think it's really clever, so I suppose this episode has that going for it, even if I thought the whole "blind" detective a little heavy handed.  The detective kept mentioning how because he was blind, he did not succumb to the apparently extraordinary beauty of this cunning woman.  You'd think not all seeing men would be so dumb?


Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment