I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, September 14, 2014

Suspense Sundays (115) Headshrinker

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Headshrinker"
Air date: August 23, 1959
Starring Nina Foch
>>Episodes here<<

Ruth makes a visit to her regular psychiatrist and lets him know that today she plans to kill him.  But first they talk over her issues which include Daddy ones, her falling in love with the Doctor, and his apparent lack of effectiveness as a psychiatrist.

This is more of a character study of Ruth as she talks over her childhood, and her feelings which range from kind of icky (her fixation on her father) to her transference of feelings to the utterly calm and professional sounding psychiatrist.  While I was listening, I was expecting some odd, unexpected twist, but that didn't come.  This episode ended with more of a whimper than a bang, and I think for the most part it's pretty forgettable.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment