I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, June 16, 2013

Suspense Sundays (49) Backseat Driver

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.   {My archive list of episodes}


"Backseat Driver"
Air date: February 3, 1949
Starring Fibber McGee and Molly
Fibber McGee and Molly had a very popular comedy radio show at the time, so this episode has them playing against type.  The couple has just been to Beverly Hills to see a movie, and are returning home, and they start talking about the murderer who escaped police clutches that day.  As they are talking, of course, the murderer pops up from the backseat with a gun to the wife's head and demands to be taken to open country where he'll let them go safely home, not a scratch on them.  Not.  Unfortunately for the murderer, this couple knows a few tricks.

Well.  This was a great episode to listen to while driving to work.  I love surreptitiously checking my backseat every few minutes. No, but really, this was a great episode, because of how the couple tricks that dastardly murderer.  I knew that sometimes what the couple was saying wasn't actually what they were saying, if you know what I mean, but it was great how it all came together in the end.  And isn't the idea of someone hiding in your backseat chilling!?

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment