I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Friday, September 4, 2015

The Would You Rather Tag

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , , ,

Soudha from Of Stacks and Cups tagged me for this fun meme (originally created by booktuber Rachel Reads).  I love this tag particularly because it speaks to our quirks as readers, and it presents interesting dilemmas!

1. Would you rather read only trilogies or standalones?

Definitely standalones!  I love that some worlds are expanded and explored in trilogies, but ultimately I love it when I can pick up a book and enjoy it and be satisfied at it's end.  There's something nice in knowing I can move on to a new book/world afterwards.  

2. Would you rather read only male or female authors?

I find that I read female authors more often, and that there are more books that I really love that are by female authors, so I think I'll go with that.  I'm not sure why that is, but perhaps there is something in the way female writing (no matter if the main protagonist is male or female) that appeals to me - the things the female writer chooses to focus on or illustrate?  That's something I should explore more when I'm reading!

3. Would you rather shop at Barnes & Noble or Amazon?

I'm sorry that Amazon doesn't have a physical bookstore, but I have to pick Amazon for it's ease, it's wonderful inventory, it's low prices, and because I'm a loyal customer to that conglomerate.  I can't help it!

4. Would you rather all books become movies or TV shows?

Wow this one is hard.  I feel like films (when it's a good adaptation!) can pick up on the themes and heart of a book really well, and put it beautifully up on the screen in a way that is so different but complementary to reading the book.  While the TV show can be more like reading a book so perhaps not as unique or special an experience sometimes.  But I think if I was a big fan of the book, I would rather see as much of the book adapted as possible just to see how it looks, so ultimately I would prefer a good TV show over a movie.

5. Would you rather read 5 pages per day or 5 books per week?

Well, 5 pages a day is just too little!  Five books a week might be a bit much, but I hope in this scenario, I am getting paid to read or something, because then it would be perfect!  It would be too difficult to really get into a book if I had to stop every five pages, so 5 books a week wins this for me!

6. Would you rather be a professional reviewer or author?

I know that I don't have it in me to be an author - the dedication and the pain of writing is too much, so a professional reviewer is absolutely perfect.  Get paid to read and just share my thoughts on the book after?  Sounds like exactly what I'm doing right now (except for the getting paid part...)

7. Would you rather read your top 20 favorite books over and over or or always read new ones you haven't read before?

Another awful dilemma!  My top 20 favorite books are my favorites for a reason!  I can't imagine not being able to read Jane Eyre any more!  Good thing this is not real then, because ultimately I'd have to pick 'read new ones'.  It will keep me more engaged with reading to be able to pick up a new book, and also I don't want to stagnate by just reading the favorites.  There are so many interesting characters, worlds and points of view to explore.  (Maybe in this case I could have a kind of amnesia where I forget that I read Jane Eyre?  Oh it would be amazing to read it for the first time over and over!)

8. Would you rather be a librarian or a book seller?

A librarian seems like more fun actually.  There is more of an investment on their part in maintaining the books and helping readers find what they are looking for.  And it seems like librarians have more events specifically for readers of all ages.  Although having author book signings at a book seller seems like great fun as well.

9. Would you rather only read your favorite genre or every genre except your favorite?

Ugh, another hard choice!  I do so enjoy my favorite genre (Gothic fiction) but I like variety, so every genre except my favorite is my choice.  I have to think in the long term here, and I would probably get a bit sick of Gothic fiction if I had to read just that.  And there's not as many new books in that genre nowadays!

10. Would you rather only read physical books or ebooks?

I never would have thought I would say this, but ebooks.  The convenience is hard to deny for me, and I love that I can carry around so many books so easily.  Hardcovers can be so big and bulky nowadays too, and it's annoying sometimes.  I still love physical books, and crave reading them after reading on my kindle for an extended amount of time, so isn't it great that I don't really have to choose between them! :D 

And now I would like to tag some bloggers for this - hopefully you have not done it before!  
and YOU if you would like to do this! :)



Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment