I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, November 9, 2014

Suspense Sundays (123) The Crisis of Dirk Diamond

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"The Crisis of Dirk Diamond"
Air date: October 18, 1959
Starring Bernie Grant
>>Episodes here<<

Mike Snyder writes the comic strip of the adventures of Dirk Diamond.  Sales for the Dick Diamond comic is going down and his editor demands that Mike create a better villain.  The editor asks him what truly scares him and Mike tells him how when he was a child he imagined a frightening man named Freddie.  The editor loves it and orders him to write him into the comic, but Mike is still a little frightened of Freddie.

A little frightened turns into A LOT frightened when Freddie starts turning up.  I really loved the premise of this episode - I thought it was genuinely creepy in the beginning and Freddie's voice is a little unnerving, but I think the ending was a bit abrupt and left me less than satisfied.  I think for such a great set-up it might have been hard to pull of an even better resolution though.  So for the ideas and the atmosphere this is a pretty good listen.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment