I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, August 3, 2014

Suspense Sundays (109) Eyewitness

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Eyewitness"
Air date: July 12, 1959
Starring John Lund
>>Episodes here<<

Newspaper reporter, Mr. Kelly, is at the penitentiary to do a story on the prisoners.  He has the unfortunate timing to be there for a prisoner revolt, and he's taken hostage along with three other guards.  Conrad Alan is the leader and makes some demands for better treatment.  The warden is unwilling to cooperate, but Mr. Kelly is willing to print the prisoners' story.  Conrad Alan threatens to beat a guard every few hours until his demands are met.  And if he runs out of guards, Mr. Kelly is next.

This story was full of suspense for me - it's pretty nervewracking to not know whether the prisoners' demands will be met or not.  The story has an interesting moral as well, because Conrad Alan is seen in a sympathetic light in spite of the things he does in the story.  I suppose it is because we are seeing things through Mr. Kelly's perspective.  I really enjoy stories that make you think just by changing the perspective.


Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this series! It's just so good.
    This sounds like a really intriguing story- I really enjoy when you get a completely different perspective like this, too, because it's so dependant on who is telling the story and often it's so much more interesting to see the other side of things, understand from a more unbiased perspective than many characters seem to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are enjoying this show!! I don't know anyone who listens to it actually. I can't even get my Mom into it, and she loves all the old stuff. :D I agree, perspective can make a ton of difference in anything, and it's often hard for people to realize that!

    ReplyDelete