I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, July 27, 2014

Suspense Sundays (108) Blood is Thicker

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Blood is Thicker"
Air date: July 5, 1959
Starring Everett Sloane
>>Episodes here<<

Mike Farleigh has a plan.  Marry the rich heiress Vanessa who owns land, a business and a sailing yacht.  His plan involves him ingratiating himself with her by pretending he knows a lot about racing sailing vessels.  He gets on her crew, but unfortunately her cousin and guardian is also there.  And he watches Mike very carefully.  So Mike has a plan to get rid of cousin Hugh.

The world of racing yachts is mostly unknown to me, and this story was written by an actual racer, so some of the finer points in the descriptions was lost on me, but overall this was an interesting story.   If only for the ending which was very unexpected.  I was thinking Mike would kill Hugh, but somehow give himself away by his ignorance of boat stuff, but what actually happens is a lot more gruesome than that.  And pretty disturbing.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, this does sound pretty scary! I feel like I "need" to know what happens, but I really want to because I would then regret knowing. This is basically a debate I have over many scary things I become aware of, in stories and such. I love the sound of this series, but without knowing what the result (uneasiness-wise) of each story would be I don't think I would be one to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll just tell you what happens! It's so hard sometimes for me to not put in spoilers - especially when there is a really good twist and I want to reveal it! ;)


    Just in case anyone else is reading - stop reading if you don't want to know the ending!
    (In Mike's attempt to kill Hugh, he falls overboard and is attacked by a shark. It's justice in a way, but pretty gruesome!)

    ReplyDelete