I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, June 1, 2014

Suspense Sundays (99) Deep, Deep is My Love

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.

"Deep, Deep is My Love"
Air date: April 26, 1959
Starring Lloyd Bridges
>>Episodes here<<

Don, a deep sea diver, is eager to go back into the water.  His friend and his wife warn him to be cautious though, because if you go too deep you can be overcome with narcosis - a kind of intoxication you feel at high pressures.  Don did experience a kind of narcosis though - he saw a girl down in the depths who was calling to him.  And he is eager to see her again.

That title! - I love how one "deep" is romantic, but add another one into the title and it becomes sinister.  Although in this case the story isn't about a disturbed, stalkerish love like I had thought, but this was still pretty interesting.  Don isn't the most likable character to me - I wonder how his friend and his wife put up with him, he's so brusque.  I don't even know why this mysterious girl would be interested in him either- he is really not very charming!  And I also wonder about the nature of this girl he sees - I suppose she doesn't really exist, but it's not very clear in the story.  Her affect on him is pretty disastrous though, and it's made me even more resolved to never go deep sea diving!  

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment