I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Review: Doctor Who: The Bog Warrior

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , , ,
Doctor Who: The Bog Warrior
by Cecelia Ahern
Science Fiction/ Short story
Amazon  /  Goodreads

Plot Summary:

Arriving on the planet Cashel, the Tenth Doctor witnesses a strange masked ball. To guarantee peace, Prince Zircon has to choose a bride from the Bog People - dead men and women who have been resurrected as slaves. Or as warriors. But Zircon is in love with the enslaved Princess Ash, whose parents were deposed and executed by the current Queen. As usual, the Doctor has walked right into trouble, and it's up to him to sort it out.

Review:

I was surprised that this short story turned out to be a loose take on Cinderella, it works out great though because it imaginatively intertwined the fairy tale with science fiction and the world of the Doctor - I enjoyed seeing how the author integrated the two.  That element of fairy tale - magic - was immediately and correctly dismissed by the Doctor but unfortunately there was no explanation given for the science behind reanimating dead people and for the ending with Princess Ash.  It all seems very like magic, and I'm surprised that the Doctor didn't discover what was the mechanism behind it.  This was the reason why I lowered the rating for this story - because I really enjoyed it, but I was left feeling very confused at the end.

In addition to fairy tales, this story also incorporates a version of zombies which I thought was pretty interesting.  It's horrific and well described, so I think that grounded this story in a good old-fashioned Who adventure, as the Doctor tries to understand and help the people in this world.  The other main characters were brief and mostly fulfilled predictable and stereotypical roles, but it worked to keep the plot going and I felt interested enough in the characters to hope they succeeded.

The 10th Doctor is captured well in this - in all his charming and slightly eccentric ways - and there are even a couple really funny moments in this story (although it is all too brief).  This is a very enjoyable read, that I would probably recommend even more strongly if only there were more of an explanation about how certain things happened in the plot.

(I received this book from the publisher or author for a fair and honest review.  I was not compensated for this review.)

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I even realized there were Doctor Who short stories! This one sounds so interesting with its take on Cinderella! And I'm so intrigued by who the author is! :) Great review Charlene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are coming out with a few and giving them the name "Time Trips," with different Doctors. It's pretty nice to read a quick DW story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that the ending of this just didn't work out as well as it could've for you! It sounds like a really interesting premise (though I'm no Doctor fan, so I doubt whether I'd read the novels myself) and I love the idea of sci-fi fairytale retellings! That would be something I'd love to explore more in lit. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read Marissa Meyer's sci-fi fairytale retellings and love those, so I'm hoping I will read more of that genre of book! I think I did compare this short story to Meyer's books which isn't quite fair since one is so much longer than the other and has more time to develop the world and the characters. But the genre is interesting and I hope to find similar reads!

    ReplyDelete