I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, September 8, 2013

Suspense Sundays (61) Song of the Heart

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.   {My archive list of episodes}


"Song of the Heart"
Air date: August 26, 1948
Starring Van Heflin
>>Episodes here<<

Orphan Neil Wilson, raised by his loving Aunt, still lives with her now that he has a decent job in management.  He doesn't seem to have any friends or girlfriends, but when Muriel Jones comes up to him at a staff party they get along right away (especially as Muriel is by no means shy!) and decide to get married.  Neil's Aunt is very attached to Neil though, and infuriatingly dismisses Neil's attachment to Muriel and Muriel herself.  Neil is getting tired of his Aunt's attitude and of her emotional dependence on him and decides maybe it's time to get rid of her.

The episode begins with Neil's confession of murder, and I loved how quickly I was rooting for Neil to murder his aunt... that is until something that happens near the end.  But she is very infuriating and while I couldn't understand why Neil would fall for Muriel so fast and already decide to get married, I thought his Aunt should have at least pretended to be supportive, especially if she knew that Neil would be so fed up with her for it.  She just seemed to be so accepting of what was going to happen.  However, I don't think a Suspense episode has ever made me this close to tears because this story is incredibly moving.  This is a really great one!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment