I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Sunday, June 23, 2013

Suspense Sundays (50) Beware the Quiet Man

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Suspense was a radio series from 1942 to 1962.  I have a fondness for "Old Time Radio" as we call it now, and Suspense is my favorite show.  It sets up weird, dark, scary, or intriguing stories with a plot twist in the end, and all in half an hour.  For Suspense Sundays I'll give a short review of an episode.   {My archive list of episodes}


"Beware the Quiet Man"
Air date: August 12, 1948
Starring Ann Sothern
While waiting for her boyfriend at a bar, Margie calls her husband and tells him she'll be late home.  A man in the bar asks to buy Margie a drink and starts to tell her how he's a private detective and is waiting for a woman whose husband hired him to confirm he's cheating on him.  The more Margie hears, the more it sounds like the man is looking for her.  And then the man says how he thinks that quiet, subdued husband will definitely kill his wife if he finds out she is cheating. Panicked, Margie does damage control and tries to be a better wife.

While listening to this story, I kept wondering if it was a set-up by her husband or not.  Obviously there has to be a twist in the end, so what would it be?  Not what I was thinking, which was great.  And although I applaud Margie's resolution in the end to be a better wife, there is such a sense in her ending that she is finally doing what a woman should be doing - like she finally knows her place or something, that I had to shake my head.  Oh brother.  That's the forties for you.

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

0 comments: Comments

Post a Comment